BREMEN — A fast moving fire that was started by a welding torch destroyed a three-car garage in Bremen on Monday afternoon along with two vintage sports cars.
Bremen Fire Chief Fern Poland said the fire started around 3:45 p.m. in a three-car garage at 274 Turner Road. Roger Williams was working in the garage on import cars that he collects as a hobby.
Williams’ wife Jackie said her husband was welding a frame on one of the cars when an issue with the car’s gas line sparked the fire. The fire destroyed a 1972 Fiat and a 1974 Porsche along with a 1983 Volvo that she described as being a car they drove around town.
The fire also destroyed the garage, which was built recently. Their home, which is several feet from the garage, was not damaged by the fire. The couple said the vehicles were valued at about $13,000.