PORTLAND — The smell of gas Sunday night inside a four-story apartment building on State Street was caused by fumes from idling cars, the Portland Fire Department said.

Deputy Chief David Jackson said that when crews from the fire department arrived at 100 State Street they found several cars idling in a garage located under the building. A door between the building lobby and garage was also open, which intensified the smell of gas inside the building, Jackson said.

Jackson said firefighters used a fan in the garage to ventilate the area. The odor was cleared in about 20 minutes, and the building did not need to be evacuated.

The State Street facility offers affordable housing for persons over the age of 62.

Dennis Hoey can be contacted at 791-6365 or at:

dhoey@pressherald.com