BIDDEFORD — Brooke Flaherty scored 12 points, Alanna Vose added 10 and a balanced University of New England offense easily handled Curry 68-45 in a women’s basketball game at Harold Alfond Forum on Wednesday night.
The Nor’easters (13-2, 8-1 Commonwealth Coast Conference) got scoring from 11 players while rebounding from their first conference loss, an 80-59 setback against Roger Williams on Saturday.
UNE led 10-2 at the five-minute mark and was up 39-20 at the break.
Kate Sawyer added nine points, while Meghan Gribbin had four points and seven assists for the Nor’easters.
SMCC 69. UM-AUGUSTA 61: Danielle McCusker scored 20 points to lead Southern Maine Community College (13-5, 9-1) over the University of Maine-Augusta (8-8, 5-4) at South Portland.
Jamie Poland finished with 15 points for SMCC and Maria Vieno scored 14. Trafton led the team in rebounding with nine.
UM-Augusta got 19 points from Jennifer Lola and Arreonte Lee added 18.
ST. JOSEPH’S 81, THOMAS 36: Morgan Cahill scored 19 points to lead the Monks (12-3, 3-0 GNAC) in a rout of Thomas (2-12, 2-6 NAC) at Standish.
The Monks led 33-21 at halftime then outscored the visitors 48-15 in the second.
Lindsay Moore finished with 12 points for St. Joseph’s while Molly Mack added 10.
(1) UCONN 83, MEMPHIS 49: Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis scored 21 points and Bria Hartley added 20 at Hartford, Conn., to lead the top-ranked Huskies to their 20th win of the season.
Breanna Stewart added 16 points and nine rebounds for UConn (20-0, 7-0 American Athletic Conference).
The Huskies have won 26 straight games dating back to last season’s run to their eighth national title.
(13) PENN STATE 65, INDIANA 52: Maggie Lucas and Ariel Edwards each scored 18 points and grabbed eight rebounds in a win for the Lions (14-4, 5-1 Big Ten) at State College, Pa.
SMCC 114, UM-AUGUSTA 89: Atencio Martin had 18 points off the bench to lead seven double-digit scorers, and the Seawolves (16-5, 10-1 YSCC) beat the Moose (2-18, 2-7) at South Portland, earning Coach Matt Richards his 200th career win.
The victory pushed Richards ahead of John Dakin, who coached the men’s team from 1968-79, for most wins in program history.
Justin Robbins added 16 points, Scott Proudman scored 14, and Jose Nouchanthavong had 12 points and 11 assists for SMCC.
CURRY 76, UNE 71: The Colonels (3-12, 2-7 Commonwealth Coast) used six late unanswered points to get by the Nor’easters (1-15, 1-8) at Biddeford.
Justin Pollard scored 23 points for UNE. Kurt Steiner added 15, and Brayden Morse had 11 points and eight rebounds.
(5) WICHITA STATE 70, ILLINOIS STATE 55: Cleanthony Early scored 23 points as the Shockers erased a halftime deficit at Normal, Ill.
The Shockers (20-0, 7-0 Missouri Valley) remained one of three unbeaten men’s teams, with top-ranked Arizona and No. 2 Syracuse.
(21) MICHIGAN 75, (10) IOWA 67: Nik Stauskas scored 26 points as the Wolverines 14-4, 6-0) upset Iowa (15-4, 4-2) at Ann Arbor, Mich.
(12) LOUISVILLE 86, SOUTH FLORIDA 47: Wayne Blackshear scored 16 points to carry the Cardinals (17-3, 6-1 American Athletic Conference) in a rout at Tampa, Fla.
RICHMOND 58, (13) UMASS 55: Kendall Anthony scored 21 points and Richmond (13-6, 3-1 Atlantic 10) hung on for an upset win at Richmond, Va.
Anthony hit a key 3-pointer after the Minutemen (16-2, 3-1) closed to within 52-48 with 4:10 remaining.
(18) DUKE 67, MIAMI 46: Jabari Parker had 17 points and a season-high 15 rebounds at Coral Gables, Fla., as Duke (15-4, 4-2 Atlantic Coast Conference) earned its first league road win of the season.
(19) SAINT LOUIS 76, DUQUESNE 72: Mike McCall scored 13 points, including two free throws with 13 seconds left, as the visiting Billikens (18-2, 5-0 Atlantic 10) avoided an upset.