BOSTON — Sarah Higgins and Shaniya Rentie scored 11 points apiece to lead Emmanuel to a 74-66 women’s basketball win over St. Joseph’s on Thursday – the first GNAC loss of the season for St. Joseph’s.
Emmanuel (14-6, 6-0) led by as many as 19 points in the second half before a late charge by St. Joseph’s (15-5, 5-1).
Abby Young scored a game-high 21 points and grabbed eight rebounds for the Monks while Morgan Cahill added 18 points and seven rebounds.
SMCC 81, NHTI 66: Nyalieb Deng had 22 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Seawolves (16-6, 12-1 YSCC) past the Lynx (12-13, 5-8) at Concord, N.H.
Danielle McCusker added 17 points and Maria Veino had nine points, 11 rebounds and four steals for Southern Maine CC.
(2) NOTRE DAME 81, FLORIDA STATE 60: Natalie Achonwa scored 24 points and Jewell Loyd added 18 to lead the still-undefeated Irish (22-0, 9-0 Atlantic Coast Conference) at Tallahassee, Fla.
(5) DUKE 78, CLEMSON 51: Haley Peters scored 17 points as Duke (22-2, 9-1 ACC) bounced back from its first Atlantic Coast Conference defeat – 88-67 to Notre Dame on Sunday – with a win at Clemson, S.C.
SOUTHERN MAINE CC 103, NHTI 90: Jose Nouchanthavong made four 3-pointers and finished with a game-high 27 points to go along with eight points and five steals as the Seawolves (18-6, 12-2) led by as many as 22 points in the first half and held off the Lynx (13-12, 9-4) in a YSCC game at Concord, N.H.
Alexander Hartford added 17 points and Scott Proudman scored 14 for the Seawolves.
(2) ARIZONA 67, OREGON 65: Nick Johnson scored 18 points and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson added 14 points and 10 rebounds as Arizona (22-1, 9-1 Pac-12), which was coming off its first loss of the season, held on to avoid another upset at Tucson, Ariz.
(7) CINCINNATI 63, UCONN 58: Sean Kilpatrick scored 26 points at Cincinnati as the Bearcats (22-2, 11-0 American Athletic) won their 15th straight game.
(9) MICHIGAN 82, PENN STATE 67: Adreian Payne scored 12 points as the Spartans (20-3, 9-1) kept pace atop the Big Ten with a win at home.
CONCANNON AWARD: Bowdoin’s Colin Downey, Colby’s Ben Chwick and Nick Lanza, and the University of New England’s Peter Melman are among the 18 semifinalists announced Thursday for the Joe Concannon Award, which is given annually to the best American-born Division II or III player in New England.