Heavy snow picked up in intensity Tuesday afternoon as the evening commute began in southern Maine.
The National Weather Service noted on its website that 3.5 inches were reported to have fallen in one hour in Sanford just before 5 p.m. At the NWS office in Gray, 1 inch was reported to have fallen in 20 minutes.
By 9 p.m., nearly 10 inches of snow fell in Kennebunk and close to 9 fell in Portland, the National Weather Service said.
Find additional details on the Maine Forecast blog.
National Weather Service meteorologist Chris Legro said Portland had nearly 70 inches – more than 24 inches more than normal – before the latest batch of snow arrived Tuesday with the prospects for up to 9 or 10 inches in southern parts of the state.
The snowfall has already exceeded the season average total of nearly 62 inches.
Several communities in southern Maine have declared parking bans.
The town of Falmouth has called for a parking ban from noon today through noon on Wednesday.
The town of Yarmouth has declared a parking ban from 6 p.m. tonight through 7 a.m. Wednesday.
Brunswick’s parking ban will begin at 10 p.m. tonight through 7 a.m. Wednesday.
Portland has declared a citywide parking ban starting at 10 p.m. tonight, and ending at 6 a.m. Wednesday so that crews can clear forecasted snow as well as continue cleanup from the last storm.
There are a number of places people can park in Portland at no charge during a parking ban, including:
• Deering Oaks: on the left hand side of Tennis Court Road only.
• State Street gravel lot: abutting Deering Oaks.
• Fitzpatrick Stadium parking lot.
• Hadlock Field parking lot.
• All Portland Public School lots except the lots at Reiche School which abut the school and playground and Adult Ed at the former Cathedral lot.
• Parking lots on Munjoy formerly known as the Adams School.
• Cutter Street lots (off the Eastern Prom) Beach Street lot accessible from Commercial Street. (Available after 8 p.m. tonight).
• Lot across the street from the International Marine Terminal on Commercial Street (corner of Park and Commercial streets).
• On Peaks Island, parking is available at the Welch Street parking lot and St. Christopher’s Church parking lot on Central Avenue.
• Western Promenade: Bowdoin Street to West Street (water side).
• Eastern Promenade: Turner Street to East End School to street light pole # 33 (water side).
• Marginal Way: Plowman Street, to just before the entrance area to the East End Waste Water Treatment Plant (water side).
Residents and visitors to Portland can sign up online at www.portlandmaine.gov to receive email notices from the city when a citywide parking ban is in effect.