Bowdoin sweeps Thomas College in baseball doubleheader at Waterville
Michael Staes pitched the first five innings to lead Bowdoin during a 15-0 victory over Thomas (7-22) in the first game of a doubleheader in Waterville, and Sam Herzig was the first of three pitchers for the Polar Bears (16-11-1) during a 4-2 victory in the second game Monday.
• Griff Tewksbury’s three-run double highlighted a five-run second inning as Bates struck early against Endicott (21-10) in Beverly, Mass., winning 8-4
Rockwell Jackson had three hits for Bates, with two RBI and two runs scored.
Bates improved to 14-11 while Endicott is now 21-10.
• Chris Travers lofted a sacrifice in the first inning, and tripled home a run before scoring in the fifth to give Roger Williams (21-11) a 7-3 win over St. Joseph’s (20-12) in Bristol, R.I.
Max McCoomb singled home two runs during the Monks’ three-run sixth inning.
• Southern Maine Community College swept a doubleheader over Dean, 2-0 and 7-3 in South Portland.
The Seawolves improved to 16-17 while Dean dipped to 14-17.
SOFTBALL: Anna Allard played a pair of strong games for Southern Maine Community College during a 9-7 and 5-3 sweep by the Dean Bulldogs in South Portland. Allard had two doubles for three RBI in the first game, and also scored two runs. She was three for four in the second game, with an RBI and two steals.
Kathryn Gilio contributed a two-run homer for the Seawolves during the twin losses.
• Kelsey Freedman broke team records for strikeouts in a game, season and career all in the same game as Bates (7-15) beat Maine Maritime (4-16) 7-2 and 5-0 in Lewiston.
Freedman piled up 17 strikeouts in the second game to smash the school record of 10. Freedman’s strikeout total for the season is 84, surpassing the former team record of 77, and her career mark stands at 192, two more than the former career record.
BARCELONA OPEN: David Ferrer will begin a 12th quest for a first Barcelona Open title by facing Teymuraz Gabashvili after the Russian beat Michal Przysiezny 6-3, 6-4 in the first round.
The second-seeded Ferrer has finished runner-up on four occasions.
PREMIER LEAGUE: Manchester City kept alive its title hopes by beating West Bromwich Albion 3-1.
– From staff and news services