DOVER, N.H.

Man indicted in death of Maine couple in car crash

A New Hampshire grand jury has indicted a Barrington man on four counts of negligent homicide in a crash last year that killed a Maine couple.

The indictments charge John Shaw, 49, with excessive speed and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs in the Aug. 31, 2013, crash in Barrington that killed Joel and Maxine McLain, both 77, of Biddeford, Maine.

Joel McLain was pastor of Victory Chapel in Biddeford for more than 30 years. The couple had been married one year.

Police said Shaw’s truck crossed the centerline of Route 202 and hit the McLains’ car.

The indictments were made Tuesday.

Shaw is being held on $25,000 bail. His arraignment date is May 1.

Shaw’s lawyer did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

STANDISH

Jail officer summoned for role in fight at his home

An officer who works at the Cumberland County Jail in Portland has been summoned for his role in a fight that broke out last week at his home in Standish.

Lt. Scott Jordan, 35, and another man who is not being identified were involved in an altercation April 15 at Jordan’s home on North East Road, Chief Deputy Naldo Gagnon said.

Jordan was issued a summons for simple assault by county deputies, who responded to a late-night call regarding a disturbance at the residence.

Gagnon said Jordan has been placed on administrative leave with pay, pending the outcome of an investigation by the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office.

Jordan is scheduled to be arraigned on May 20.

BUXTON

Home a total loss in fire that likely started in garage

Buxton’s fire chief says it appears a home in town is a total loss after an early morning fire.

The blaze at the home on Narragansett Trail was reported at about 3 a.m. Tuesday.

By the time firefighters arrived, there was thick smoke pouring from the building.

The chief said it appears the blaze started in the garage and spread to the house.

About 50 firefighters from several surrounding communities helped fight the blaze, which remains under investigation.

There were no reports of injuries.

DOVER-FOXCROFT

One person hospitalized with wounds from shooting

A shooting in Dover-Foxcroft has left one person hospitalized with wounds that do not appear life-threatening, police said.

Police responded to a fight on Lancaster Street at about 6 a.m. Tuesday. A victim with three gunshot wounds was taken to the hospital. The victim’s name has not been released.

No arrests have been made, but the investigation is continuing.

Augusta

LePage in Morocco for opening of UNE campus

Gov. Paul LePage is visiting Morocco to celebrate the opening of the University of New England’s new campus in Tangier.

The Republican governor was scheduled to speak at the inauguration ceremony on Tuesday.

U.S. Ambassador to Morocco Dwight Bush Sr. was also expected to attend the ceremony for the only American higher education institution in the country.

Twenty-three students have been studying there since January.

LePage’s office has said that he will also seek trade opportunities for Maine during the trip.

The governor is expected to return to Maine later this week ahead of the state’s Republican Party convention, which kicks off in Bangor on Friday. 

LePage vetoes bill reporting welfare fraud combat effort

Gov. Paul LePage has vetoed a bill that would direct the administration to report on efforts to combat welfare fraud.

The bill introduced by Democratic Rep. Drew Gattine of Westbrook would require the Department of Health and Human Services to report annually to the Legislature on its efforts to investigate fraud in MaineCare and programs such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.

In his veto letter, the Republican governor said the department would need additional resources, but that lawmakers stripped the funding from the proposal.

The Democratic-led Legislature rejected several of LePage’s proposals to overhaul the state’s welfare programs this session.

LePage also vetoed a bill authorizing some quasi-municipal entities to use video and audio to conduct meetings. A third vetoed measure would make changes to the state’s Freedom of Access Act.

BANGOR

Vermont man’s wire fraud trial to take another day

Prosecutors say the wire fraud trial of a Vermont man convicted for the 2010 explosion that killed two workers at a New Hampshire gunpowder plant will take at least one more day.

Craig Sanborn’s trial resumed in Bangor on Tuesday. A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office said the trial is likely to last until at least Thursday.

Federal prosecutors say Sanborn submitted $300,000 worth of false invoices to Brownville officials for materials and services he never purchased between November 2005 and January 2008 in connection to an ammunition plant in Maine.

Sanborn was convicted in October of two counts of negligent homicide and manslaughter in connection with the May 2010 explosion that killed Jesse Kennett, 49, and Donald Kendall, 56.