1967 photo courtesy of Portland Public Library Special Collections & Archives; contemporary photo by John Patriquin/Staff Photographer
The photos above show outer Congress Street near its crossing of the Fore River in Portland’s Stroudwater neighborhood, in 1967 (black and white photo) and on April 22, 2014. The white building in the center is the Stroudwater Baptist Church at 1729 Congress St.
The Portland Room of the Portland Public Library is in the process of organizing and conserving the archival collection of original Portland Press Herald, Maine Sunday Telegram and Evening Express photographic negatives — a major collection that spans from 1937 to 2005. Find more photos at www.pressherald.com/flashback/.