Nine people were left homeless Friday night after fire heavily damaged a four-unit residential building in the Lower Village in Kennebunk.

The fire at 170 Port Road was caused by a chimney fire, said Jeff Rowe, chief of Kennebunk Fire & Rescue. He said the top floor of the building was damaged by the fire, and the bottom two floors had extensive water damage.

Search photos available for purchase: Photo Store →

Rowe said eight people were home at the time of the fire, but nobody was injured. He said the Red Cross and a local business are providing temporary housing.

Firefighters responded at 9:19 p.m., and the scene was cleared at 2 a.m. Saturday.

Fire departments from Kennebunkport, Wells and Arundel provided assistance at the scene, and departments from other towns in the region provided backup.

The Lower Village is a section of Kennebunk just across the river from Dock Square in Kennebunkport.