Contemporary photo by Tim Greenway/Staff Photographer; historic photo courtesy of Portland Public Library Special Collections & Archives (photographer uncredited).
The black-and-white photo above ran on page 7 of the April 27, 1942, Portland Press Herald alongside this brief:
“The three-story brick building at 375 Fore Street [was] recently purchased by the Portland Seamen’s Friend Society… to house the expanding facilities of the seamen’s aid organization, which now has its headquarters at 13-15 Exchange Street.”
The building is now home to Bull Feeney’s, a popular Old Port pub and restaurant.
The Portland Room of the Portland Public Library is in the process of organizing and conserving the archival collection of original Portland Press Herald, Maine Sunday Telegram and Evening Express photographic negatives — a major collection that spans from 1937 to 2005. Find more photos at www.pressherald.com/flashback/.