Rafael Nadal withdrew Wednesday from U.S. Open tuneups in Toronto and Cincinnati because of a right wrist injury, putting in doubt his status for a title defense at the year’s last Grand Slam tournament.
The second-ranked Nadal plays left-handed but uses a two-handed backhand.
He said in a statement issued by the Toronto tournament that he injured himself Tuesday.
In a posting on Facebook, Nadal said he is “disappointed” that he can’t play the next two weeks but adds, “I expect to be well for the U.S. Open.”
Nadal’s manager, Benito Perez-Barbadillo, wrote in an emailed release that Nadal was hurt in practice on his home island of Mallorca while getting ready for the North American hard-court circuit.
Perez-Barbadillo said doctors determined Wednesday that Nadal will need to wear a cast on his wrist for two to three weeks and the initial prognosis is for him to be able to return to action at the U.S. Open, which begins Aug. 25. But doctors will keep tabs on the injury, including with MRI exams, and then decide when Nadal can play again.
The Toronto tournament begins Monday and the Cincinnati tournament starts Aug. 11. Nadal won both of those events last year. Nadal won his second championship at Flushing Meadows in 2013.