Ex-UMaine goalie signs extension with Tampa Bay
The Tampa Bay Lightning have signed goaltender Ben Bishop to a two-year contract extension running through the 2016-2017 season.
Bishop, a Vezina Trophy finalist last season, went 37-14-7 with a 2.23 goals-against-average in 63 games. He set team records for single-season wins and goals-against average.
The 27-year-old netminder also played for the Ottawa Senators and St. Louis Blues. At UMaine, he led the Black Bears to the Frozen Four in 2006 and 2007.
• The Montreal Canadiens and standout defenseman P.K. Subban agreed on an eight-year deal with terms undisclosed.
• The Anaheim Ducks have signed Patrick Maroon to a three-year extension after the left wing’s breakout season.
The Ducks also signed first-round pick Nick Ritchie.
PGA: Sergio Garcia fired a 3-under 67 to retain a three-shot lead after three rounds in the Bridgestone Invitational at Akron, Ohio.
At 14-under 196, he leads Rory McIlroy.
Defending champion Tiger Woods had a 72 and was 15 shots out of the lead.
CITI OPEN: Powered by serves that reached 143 mph, second-seeded Milos Raonic of Canada reached his first final of the season by beating Donald Young of the U.S. 6-4, 7-5 in Washington, D.C.
Raonic will face sixth-seeded Richard Gasquet of France or 13th-seeded Vasek Pospisil of Canada in Sunday’s final at the hard-court tuneup for the U.S. Open.
KITZBUEHEL CUP: David Goffin ended Belgium’s six-year title drought on the ATP tour by earning his first career victory at the Austria tournament by beating fifth-seeded Dominic Thiem of Austria 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 in a match between two first-time finalists.
NFL: San Francisco 49ers nose tackle Glenn Dorsey has a torn left biceps muscle, will undergo surgery and it’s unclear how long he might be sidelined.
• Cornerback Marcus Cooper joined the lengthy list of Kansas City Chiefs defensive backs who were forced to watch practice Saturday after tweaking his hamstring during an early portion of the workout.
• The Jacksonville Jaguars have signed receiver Kenny Shaw, defensive tackle David Carter and linebacker Josh Hull while waiving injured defensive tackle Jordan Miller (knee), linebacker John Lotulelei (knee) and receiver Damian Copeland (wrist).
NCAA: Syracuse star placekicker Ross Krautman’s career is over, as hip surgery that cut short his 2013 season continues to hamper his legwork.
SAN SEBASTIAN CLASSIC: Alejandro Valverde rebounded from missing the podium at the Tour de France by neutralizing a late attack by rival Joaquim Rodriguez before breaking away on a downhill stretch with just over two miles to go while arriving to the Basque coastal city.
MLS: Los Angeles Galaxy forward Robbie Keane and defender Omar Gonzalez, as well as Seattle Sounders defender Chad Marshall, have pulled out of the Major League Soccer All-Star game against Bayern Munich in Portland, Oregon, Wednesday.
The trio will be replaced by D.C. United defenders Bobby Boswell and Sean Franklin, as well as Philadelphia Union midfielders Maurice Edu.
– From staff and news services