This photograph, published in the Jan. 27, 1996, edition of the Portland Press Herald, shows the Quaker meetinghouse at 1837 Forest Ave.

The accompanying editorial described how the building, “home to Quakers since 1846,” had recently undergone a renovation with a new roof, two new classrooms, and handicapped accessibility.

The Portland Room of the Portland Public Library is in the process of organizing and conserving the archival collection of original Portland Press Herald, Maine Sunday Telegram and Evening Express photographic negatives — a major collection that spans from 1937 to 2005. Find more photos at