WASHINGTON — Is the third time going to be the charm for R&B singer Chris Brown to finally plead guilty to his assault charge?
So far, not so good. A last-minute hearing was scheduled for Friday in D.C. Superior Court in which Brown was due to appear and plead guilty to misdemeanor assault charges that he punched a photograph-seeking fan in the face outside the W Hotel in downtown Washington in October 2013.
But Friday’s hearing was canceled and rescheduled for Tuesday. Sources familiar with the case said Brown was unable to fly to Washington on Thursday night from California.
Bill Miller, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office, declined to comment on whether a plea deal exists, but he did confirm that the 25-year-old Grammy-winning singer is scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday.
Brown rejected two previous plea deal offers.
At a hearing in June, Brown rejected a plea offer following two days of heavy negotiations between his attorneys and prosecutors. A trial date was then scheduled for Sept. 8. One of Brown’s attorneys, Mark Geragos, told the judge that Brown rejected the plea deal because he did not agree with the details of the assault as outlined by the prosecutors. Brown’s trial has been delayed several times.
Prosecutors allege Brown, along with his friend and bodyguard, Christopher Hollosy, 35, struck Parker Adams, 25, of Beltsville, Maryland, after Adams tried to take a picture of himself with the entertainer outside the hotel on Oct. 27 following a party during Howard University’s homecoming festivities.