Contemporary photo by Gordon Chibroski/Staff Photographer; historic photo from the Portland Public Library Special Collections & Archives (photographer uncredited).
“A ‘bit of old England,’ in the form of sand and cinders transported 3,000 miles as ballast for the British freighter Mapledore, is going into the filling of the dock between Long and Commercial Wharves,” according to the Dec 28, 1945 Portland Evening Express report that accompanied this photograph. The site today is the parking lot for Dimillo’s restaurant and Gorham Savings Bank.
The Portland Room of the Portland Public Library is in the process of organizing and conserving the archival collection of original Portland Press Herald, Maine Sunday Telegram and Evening Express photographic negatives — a major collection that spans from 1937 to 2005. Find more photos at www.pressherald.com/flashback/.