A Waterboro home was heavily damaged by a Sunday night fire that may have started in a dryer.

A resident of 1573 Goodwins Mills Road reported a fire had broken out near a dryer shortly after 11 p.m. Sunday. When firefigthers arrived, the blaze had spread into other parts of the three-story residential building, said Fire Chief Matt Bors.

Bors said the three-alarm fire took more than 3½ hours to put out, partly because the cold temperatures led to frozen hose lines. About 40 firefighters from Waterboro, Hollis, Alfred, Goodwins Mills, Ross Corner and Limerick fought the fire. Bors said a large amount of personal belongings stored in the attic and a metal roof made the fire difficult to deal with.

“There was some stubbornness to it,” Bors said.

Bors said crews will be back at the home today to determine if the fire did originate from the dryer. He said the fire is not considered suspicious.

No one was injured. The Red Cross is assisting two occupants and a family pet, Bors said.