Gray-New Gloucester High School will be closed Tuesday after it was evacuated Monday in response to a handwritten note in a girls’ restroom describing a bomb threat.

Bruce Beasley, superintendent of School Administrative District 15, confirmed in an email that Tuesday’s classes at the high school in Gray have been canceled.

“A threat was made at Gray-New Gloucester High School today that gave a specific date and time. Administration has decided that school will be canceled tomorrow as a result of these specifics,” Beasley said in his email.

Classes will be held in the district’s other schools Tuesday.

The note was found in the bathroom around 1:50 p.m. After the school was evacuated, Maine State Police bomb-detection dogs were brought in, said Capt. Don Goulet of the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office. The dogs checked the school and found no explosives.

Police continue to investigate, but the seriousness of the threat remains unknown.

Anyone responsible could face felony charges and be held liable for the costs associated with the evacuation, Goulet said.

In December, schools in Windham and Raymond were closed for three consecutive days while school officials investigated threatening emails sent to two school officials. Windham police charged a 16-year-old boy with eight counts of felony terrorizing after he allegedly threatened to use weapons.

Thornton Academy in Saco canceled classes for two days in December after someone phoned in a threat to the high school. At the time, Saco police said they were unable to determine that students were at risk but decided to take an extra day to give investigators time to thoroughly pursue all leads.

Last month, two Noble High School students were charged with terrorizing. The students allegedly used Twitter on Jan. 14 to direct a bomb threat at the high school in North Berwick.

The threat prompted the evacuation of 1,100 students.