The Portland Fire Department ordered the evacuation of a Munjoy Hill apartment building and a nearby market Friday after firefighters detected high readings of natural gas.

No injuries were reported.

Heavy snow accumulated on an outdoor gas meter caused the gas supply line to break, Tim Nangle, fire department spokesman, said in a news release. The service was located in a narrow space between two buildings into which a large pile of snow had fallen, burying the meter.

The department was notified about 12:30 p.m. of the possible gas leak at 141 Congress St.

After confirming the high readings, firefighters evacuated that building and the nearby Hilltop Superette.

The evacuees kept warm at the Munjoy Hill fire station. They were allowed to return when the air quality in the buildings was deemed safe.

The gas company Unitil had stopped the leak and was making repairs, the fire department said.

“We are asking anyone who uses either natural gas or propane to ensure that the gas meter and surrounding piping is clear of snow and ice,” Nangle said in the release. “This equipment is not designed to withstand the weight of snow or falling ice.”