Ten people were displaced by a fire early Monday morning in Westbrook that officials say was caused by improperly disposed of smoking materials.

Everyone was able to get out of the six-unit apartment building at 135 Bridge St. after the fire started around midnight Sunday, but one person was taken to a hospital for treatment of minor smoke inhalation, said Fire Chief Andrew Turcotte.

Fire officials say the fire was quickly contained to one apartment, though there is smoke damage in other apartments.

Rick Gouzie, the city’s code enforcement officer, said the building was equipped with smoke detectors, but officials don’t know if they were all working because power was cut to the building after the fire started. Turcotte said the building owner could be cited if the detectors were not working.

Gouzie said the building owner said he will replace all of the smoke detectors when repairs from the fire are made. The owner also agreed to replace some decking and stairwells that are old and in need of repair, he said. Tenants will not be allowed back in until those repairs are made.

The building is owned by Jodake LLC.

Gouzie said the only previous code issue at the building was around 2002 when there was a problem with the electrical system. That problem was taken care of at the time, he said.

Tenant Jason Meyer said he was not home when the fire started. It was a neighbor who broke the news to him.

Meyer was unable to search his apartment until this morning, and was concerned because his cat was inside. His dog Brooklyn found the cat alive in a closet this morning.

Gouzie and members of the fire department on Monday morning were able to bring tenants into their apartments to retrieve some belongings. The American Red Cross is assisting the displaced residents.

Turcotte said fire crews were called in from other communities to help with the fire because of the potential for it to rapidly spread through older buildings. Crews from Portland, Windham, Gorham, Falmouth and Scarborough assisted Westbrook.