BAR HARBOR – Police say a fire that killed a woman in her Bar Harbor home likely started because of a heat lamp being used to keep baby chickens warm.

Firefighters came to the home on Wednesday afternoon and found 46-year-old Melissa Watership in her kitchen. She was taken to a hospital and died there.

Authorities say on Friday that Watership had obtained the chicks on Wednesday morning and placed them in a sawdust-filled box in her bedroom. They say the fire started when the lamp either tipped over or was placed too close to the box.

Police say the fire has been ruled accidental. They say Watership was probably either distracted or sleeping when the fire broke out.