A section of Congress Street in Portland was shut down for several hours Tuesday after a kitchen fire set off a sprinkler system in a downtown apartment building.

Deputy Fire Chief John Everett said a flash fire broke out on a stove in a fourth-floor kitchen at 439 Congress St. around 2 p.m.

Though the fire caused minor damage, it set off the sprinkler system in the Metropolitan Apartments. Everett said water from the fire suppression system caused damage to the kitchen and two apartments below it as well as to businesses located on the first floor.

Firefighters spent more than three hours in the building vacuuming up water and covering items that were damaged by the water.

Congress Street between Elm and Temple streets remained closed for more than three hours.