A New Sharon man who died of burns he suffered inside his parked car had been inhaling fumes from an aerosol can when a cigarette set off the flames, authorities said.

Casey Turner, 34, suffered severe burns to his face and hands while inside his car Tuesday night, according to a news release Wednesday from Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Safety. The car was parked in Turner’s driveway at his 86 Mercer Road home.

Authorities said in later news release Wednesday that Turner, who was a smoker, was apparently inhaling fumes, known as “huffing.” He was using Dust Off – a compressed air product that is used to blow dust and lint off electronics – McCausland said. Empty aerosol cans were found inside the car.

Turner was burned while inside the car, which was not damaged, then walked to a neighbor’s house to call for help around 9 p.m. Tuesday, McCausland said.

Franklin County sheriff’s deputies responded to the 911 call.

Turner was taken by ambulance to MaineGeneral Medical Center in Augusta and then transferred to Maine Medical Center in Portland, where he died, McCausland said.

The state medical examiner’s office is reviewing the death, which is the fourth fire-related death of the year, McCausland said.