LONDON — The Daily Mail newspaper and its website retracted a story about Melania Trump on Friday after she filed a lawsuit accusing the Daily Mail Online and a Maryland blogger of falsely accusing her of involvement with an escort agency during her modeling career.

The retraction, published on page 14 of the Daily Mail tabloid and on its popular website, said the newspaper regrets any “misinterpretation” of the Aug. 20 article. It said the story wasn’t intended to suggest that Melania Trump had been involved in escort work, but rather to raise questions about whether allegations about her past could hurt her husband’s campaign for the White House.

“Among other things, the article noted that allegations have been made in a book available on Amazon about a modeling agency where Mrs. Trump worked in Milan being ‘something like a gentleman’s club,’ and an article published by Suzy, a Slovenian magazine, alleged that Mrs. Trump’s modeling agency in New York, run by Paolo Zampolli, ‘operated as an escort agency for wealthy clients,”‘ the newspaper said.

The newspaper said it “did not intend” to suggest she had worked as an escort or been involved in the sex business.