WINDHAM — Dylan Bolduc and his Portland High teammates knew they had to adapt to different roles when standout two-way player Nick Archambault was hurt in the first quarter Friday night at Windham.

“We had some injuries, and we knew people had to step up and fill the spots,” Bolduc said. “We’re just taught to run hard, never give up, and keep your legs going. That’s how we do it.”

Bolduc had 24 of his 26 carries in the second half to finish with 105 yards as Portland ground out two drives of over seven minutes to take a three-touchdown lead, then came away with a 42-21 victory in a Class A North game.

Both teams are 2-1. Windham’s two wins had come against weaker opponents (Lewiston and Bangor), while Portland had played a very tough preseason schedule, then lost its opener to Scarborough before winning at Edward Little.

Portland built a 14-0 lead in the first quarter behind the running of Archambault (59 yards, one touchdown) and a shut-down defense. But on his 12th carry of the quarter, Archambault injured his left knee and didn’t return. The Bulldogs already were without Jake Knop, another top back. But Coach Jim Hartman said he wasn’t worried.

“You can’t be. You’ve got a game to win. That’s what we teach the boys,” Hartman said. “I’m upset for (Archambault). He’s the best football player I’ve ever coached. He’s having a hell of a night against an archrival and he went down, and I really just felt more bad for him. But we have to get into what we do.”

Windham cut the lead to 14-7 at the half with an 11-yard run by Nate Watson with 1:40 left in the second quarter.

Portland forced a three-and-out to start the second half before Bolduc took over.

With tight end Ethan Hoyt shifting to fullback and the 6-5, 239-pound Nathan Kapongo moving into the blocking tight end role, Portland ground out a 14-play, 50-yard drive that took 7:19 off the clock.

Heady quarterback Issiah Bachelder then snuck it in from the 1.

The sequence was repeated. A three-and-out highlighted by Nick Giaquinto’s sack of Desmond Leslie was followed by an 11-play, 52-yard, 7:14 drive.

The Bulldogs converted twice on fourth down, the second time when a Windham lineman jumped offside on fourth-and-4. Bolduc powered in from the 5 and Quinn Clarke added the fourth of his six extra points for a 28-7 lead.

Several Portland players flapped their arms – a la Eagles – after Bolduc’s touchdown run. Suprisingly no penalty was called but Blake Houser of Windham responded to the taunt appropriately, breaking five tackles on a 94-yard kickoff return for a touchdown.

Windham struck again three minutes later after stopping Portland on downs. A very short punt from the Portland 15 was caught at the 21 by Cameron Hoffses, who returned it to the 1. Two plays later Leslie snuck in and with 3:19 left in the game, Windham was within a touchdown.

Portland answered with another scoring drive, which featured a 40-yard pass from Bachelder to Griffin Foley. Bachelder faked a pitch to Bolduc, a play Portland had run with brutal efficiency, and found Foley alone behind the defense.

“I knew the way our backs were running and how aggressive their linebackers were that sometime during the game that was going to be open and Coach picked the right call, and it was a great decision and got us a big play,” Bachelder said.

On fourth-and-goal from the 4, Portland eschewed a field-goal attempt and Bachelder turned another play action pass to Foley into six points.

Portland’s final TD came on a 60- yard fumble return by Ethan Hoyt.

Windham hurt itself with numerous penalties.

“They had the field tilted and it was hard for us to get in a rhythm,” Windham Coach Matt Perkins said. “That really put us in a bad spot. We have to grow up. This is one of those games that you painfully go through and you realize that, you know what, you have to be disciplined when you play this game.”