A grandson helped his 90-year-old grandmother escape an early morning house fire, according to Scarborough fire officials.

The grandson, an adult, awoke to smoke and flames in the wall between his bedroom and the room where his grandmother was sleeping, said fire Chief Michael Thurlow. He got his grandmother out of the house and woke his father, who also escaped without injury.

Thurlow said the only working smoke detector was in the basement of the home.

The fire on Pine Point Road was reported around 2 a.m. Firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from the second story on three sides of the house, according to the Scarborough Fire Department. The damage to the older farmhouse was contained to the area where the fire started, Thurlow said.

Thurlow said residents should have working smoke detectors on every floor at a minimum, but he recommends them also in each bedroom.

Pine Point Road was closed for about two hours.