Saturday, May 25, 2013
When this stately old barn burned to the ground early Monday, it took with it the lives of three draft horses, 20 sheep, two pigs, two calves and roughly 60 chicks and ducklings. Bill and Cynthia Thayer who own the organic-certified Darthia Farm in Gouldsboro tried to rescue the animals but were injured and beaten back by the intense flames. The owners believe a heat lamp (used to keep young animals warm on cold nights) may have been the cause of the fire.
On Tuesday night, fire swept through the Baldwin Apple Ladder company in Brooks destroying the wooden ladders, parts and tools. Luckily no animals or people were injured in this blaze.
Relief funds have been set up to help both of these businesses recover.
To help Darthia Farm, donations can be made by sending a check to:
To help Baldwin Apple Ladder, donations can be made by sending a check to:
Baldwin Apple Ladder Co
Camden National Bank
156 Main St.
Belfast, ME 04915
Meredith Goad has harvested oysters on the Chesapeake Bay, eaten reindeer in Finland and sipped hot chai in the Himalayas. She writes the weekly Soup to Nuts column and enjoys a good cocktail.
Susan Axelrod's food writing career began in the kitchen; she owned a restaurant and catering business before turning to journalism more than a decade ago. To relax, she bakes, gardens and hikes with her husband and their two dogs. A newcomer to Portland, she is an online content producer for the Press Herald.
Susan can be contacted at 791-6310 or saxelrod [at] pressherald.com.
On Twitter: @susansaxelrod
Wendy Almeida and her family have a smattering of livestock and a summer garden. After 10 years of her kids being involved in 4-H, she's finally accepted the term "hobby farm" to describe her family's work at sustainable living. These days her morning starts with milking a goat before heading into the office for her day job as an assistant editor for features.
Wendy can be contacted at wea [at] mainetoday.com or on Twitter @wea1021.