Friday, December 6, 2013
Last year's Judge's Choice winning bite, by Chef Micah Jones of Brown's Wharf: fresh lobster over a sun-dried tomato and polenta cake, finished with lobster sauce and truffle oil. Photo: Ted Axelrod/Axelrod Photography
Nineteen Boothbay region chefs are participating in the second-annual Claw Down® on Thursday, Sept.19 from 6 to 9 p.m. at Ocean Point Marina in East Boothbay. Sponsored by the Boothbay Harbor Region Chamber of Commerce in partnership with the Maine Lobster Promotion Council, the event challenges participating chefs to come up with the best lobster bite for the title of the 2013 Claw Down® Lobster Bite Chef of the Year – Judges’ Choice and People’s Choice.
Guests will have a chance to taste the chef's dishes and wines provided by Central Distributors.
Michele Ragussis, chef at The Pearl restaurant in Rockland and a finalist on "The Next Food Network Star" and "Chopped” will emcee the event. Judges will include the Lobster Chef of the Year, Chef Kerry Altiero from Cafe Miranda in Rockland; Lynn Archer, a.k.a The Queen of Clubs, owner of Archer's on the Pier and the Brass Compass Cafe and winner of the "Lobster Dekkah" challenge on the Food Network's “Throwdown with Bobby Flay” and Sandy Oliver, Maine food historian, newspaper columnist and author of “Maine Home Cooking.”
The 2012 People's Choice winner was by Fiona Dunlap of the Newagen Seaside Inn & Restaurant: petite corn cake topped with native corn puree, Maine lobster, butter sauce and candied tarragon. Photo: Ted Axelrod/Axelrod Photography
Participating restaurants and chefs in the 2013 "Claw Down®" are:
1. Boathouse Bistro & Tapas Bar, Chef & co-owner Karin Guerin
2. Boothbay Harbor Country Club, Executive Chef Geoff Cornell
3. Boothbay Lobster Wharf, Chef Kosta Rigas
4. Brown’s Wharf , Chef Micah Jones
5. Eventide Specialties, Chef & co-owner Kim Martin
6. Fisherman’s Wharf Inn, Chef John Reed
7. Kaler’s Restaurant, Chef & co-owner Sam Kaler
8. McSeagull’s Restaurant, Chef & co-owner Ralph Smith
9. Newagen Seaside Inn, Chef Fiona Dunlap
10. Oliver’s at Cozy Harbor Wharf, Chef Stacy McLellan
11. Ports of Italy, Chef Fabrizio Ventricini
12. Robinson’s Wharf & Tugs Pub, Chef Jason Chamness
13. The Lobster Dock, Chef & co-owner Mitch Weiss
14. The Rocktide Inn & Restaurant, Chef Joe Pinkham
15. The Thistle Inn, Chef Michael Whitney
16. The World Is Mine Oyster, Chef Steve Richards
17. The World Is Mine Oyster – Sushi, Chef Harrison Maung
18. Tugboat Inn & Restaurant, Chef Mike Ham
19. Windows on the Harbor, Chef Patrick Jones
Cocktail attire is suggested for the Claw Down®. Tickets are $60 and can be purchased online beginning Aug. 15 on the website for Boothbay Harbor Region Chamber of Commerce or by calling 207-633-2353.
Various chamber members are posting “Hot Deals” with special pricing, promotions and lodging packages on the Chamber’s websites directly tied into Claw Down®.
Meredith Goad has harvested oysters on the Chesapeake Bay, eaten reindeer in Finland and sipped hot chai in the Himalayas. She writes the weekly Soup to Nuts column and enjoys a good cocktail.
Susan Axelrod's food writing career began in the kitchen; she owned a restaurant and catering business before turning to journalism more than a decade ago. To relax, she bakes, gardens and hikes with her husband and their two dogs. A newcomer to Portland, she is an online content producer for the Press Herald.
Susan can be contacted at 791-6310 or saxelrod [at] pressherald.com.
On Twitter: @susansaxelrod