Friday June 11, 2010 | 10:39 AM

Bravo Company got an early wake-up call just after 6 a.m. Thursday.

Insurgents fired three rockets at Combat Outpost Dand wa Patan from a distant mountainside.

But, I’m happy to report, all three missed.

(I was away form the outpost at the time, accompanying First Platoon on a middle-of-the-night mission to the town of Chamkani, about 15 miles to the northwest. Read more about the First Platoon’s busy week in this weekend’s Maine Sunday Telegram.)

Nobody was hurt in the attack – the first time Bravo Company has been targeted with rockets since the soldiers arrived here in late Mach.

And since all three fell outside the COP’s perimeter, nothing was damaged.

But it got everyone’s attention.

“We’ve been mortared before, but once you hear that rocket – that’s totally different,” said Spc. Kevin O’Brien of Lisbon Falls. “I did see the smoke trail, which was pretty neat.”

At the time the rockets hit, O’Brien was manning a TCP – traffic control point – just outside the base.

Also enjoying (if that’s the right word)  a front-row seat were: Staff Sgt. Anthony Marson of Richmond, Staff Sgt. John Anderson of Portland, Spc. Jeffrey Cantara of Biddeford, Sgt. Nikolas Edwards of Livermore, Pfc. Craig Ege of Sanford,  Pfc. Jason Chapman of Hollis and Spc. Galen Hisler of Somerville.

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)
Prefer to respond privately? Email us here.