Tuesday October 22, 2013 | 08:55 AM
Posted by Rob Gould

When I was trying to put up my blog post yesterday on my Facebook page, I got error messages for three hours telling me that my post could not go up. I also tried to post two photos from my Instagram account and they didn't appear for several hours. I know all of my Facebook friends are very disappointed to hear this as you're always eagerly anticipating my blog posts and personal photos. So, apologies for the delay. I hope you're all ok. Of course, this is apart from the 99% of you who were actually relieved that I was silent for a few hours—the other 1% is made up of my mom and the guy who is currently stalking me. 

Anyway, after looking around a little bit I found a bunch of articles online about how Facebook has been having temporary "outages" lately due to "network maintenance." You can find a good description of what's been going on in this Mashable article.

What I really found interesting was how much of a meltdown so many people were having over this very brief service disruption. There was actually a trending hashtag on Twitter, #facebookdown. If you looked at what people were saying you may have thought the world was ending. The were profanity-laced tweets flying everywhere! I swear more people were tweeting about not being able to use Facebook for a few hours than were tweeting about any other pressing national (or international) issue of the day.

So first, everyone just calm down. Facebook is working again and no one died or anything. I even got my blog post up there eventually. Minor inconvenience. Now, as a very heavy user of social media, I was just fine. It was actually kind of a relief. I was interested in what was happening because it seemed to be everywhere online but I definitely didn't feel heated or distressed about it. Things break. They get fixed.

So whatever to Facebook. I will admit to being much more distressed when I get the Twitter "fail whale." That's probably just showing my social media preference and deep devotion to the little blue bird. Also, Twitter is my primary place to look at and follow news, so I always feel lost without it.

Now, if you want to see a meltdown, you should have seen me yesterday when I thought I lost my phone. TWICE. It wasn't pretty.

And, Mark Zuckerberg sends his personal apologies to all of you. He told me. Remember that stalker I mentioned?

Happy Tuesday everyone.

PHOTO CREDIT: www.menshealth.co.uk

About this Blog

Subscribe to the
Social Social RSS feed

Social media has changed the way that many of us learn, purchase, interact and explore the world around us. And, things are just getting started. Social, Social is a place to discuss social media with people from all walks of life. No experts allowed.

About the Author

Rob works as a digital marketing & public relations consultant to agencies, brands, and individuals. He has 20 years of marketing experience. He also currently serves in a volunteer capacity as director of pr/communications for TEDxDirigo. From 2005-2011, Rob served as director of social media & agency communications at The VIA Agency (Portland). Prior to VIA, Rob worked with several PR & advertising agencies in London & Boston. He is a graduate of The University of Vermont (UVM) and a Maine transplant (2002).

Follow Rob on Twitter at @bobbbyg

His real-life interests include art, travel, writing, design, psychology, the beach, & exercise (grudgingly at times).

Previous entries

March 2014

February 2014

January 2014

December 2013

November 2013

October 2013

More

September 2013

August 2013

July 2013

June 2013

May 2013

April 2013

March 2013

February 2013

Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)
Prefer to respond privately? Email us here.