Tuesday, March 11, 2014
(Continued from page 1)
• The founders and owners of Cross Insurance were honored as Distinguished Citizens by the Boy Scouts of America's Katahdin Area Council.
The insurance provider was recognized for its dedication to the community.
Brent Cross, executive vice president of the company, serves on the Katahdin Area Council's board of directors.
• Elm Terrace, developed by Community Housing of Maine, was recognized by the National Housing & Rehabilitation Association as the 2013 J. Timothy Anderson Award for best historic rehabilitation project involving new construction.
The award honors outstanding rehabilitation and preservation projects nationwide. It was created as a tribute to Boston architect and preservation advocate J. Timothy Anderson.
• James Van Hoften, a former NASA Astronaut and Bechtel executive, joined Cianbro's board of directors.
Van Hoften served as a mission specialist on the Challenger in 1984 and on Discovery in 1985. At the conclusion of his NASA tenure, Van Hoften joined the Bechtel Corp., where he helped to establish the new defense and space business as a key component of the company.
• Sen. Ron Collins, R-York, was appointed to the National Conference of State Legislatures' Standing Committee on Energy, Transportation and Agriculture.
Collins was also appointed to the presidential search committee at York County Community College. He is serving his second term in the Maine Senate. He served four terms in the House of Representatives. He serves on the Maine Legislature's Transportation and State and Local Government committees.
• Lawyer Karen Bilodeau is celebrating her 10th year with the workers' rights law firm, McTeague Higbee this month.
Bilodeau, of Auburn, is a partner at McTeague Higbee. She practices workers' compensation law and personal injury law for clients in the Lewiston-Auburn and Portland areas. She was recently selected for inclusion in the 2014 edition of the Best Lawyers in America in the specialty of workers' compensation.
• Jennifer Dodd of South Portland became an independent consultant with Tastefully Simple Inc., a national direct-sales company featuring more than 60 easy-to-prepare foods.
As an independent business owner, Dodd offers food samples at home taste-testing parties, along with easy ideas for everyday meals, recipes and serving suggestions.