Monday, April 21, 2014
DEAR JEANNE: I just know you can improve this one! As is, it went over big at a potluck, but I hated to say how much fat was in it (or think about how much I ate!). Thanks! -- Barbara Rodney, Escondido, Calif.
INDIAN CORN PUDDING
1 package Jiffy cornbread mix
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 cup creamed corn
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 white onion, thinly sliced
1. Butter 12 muffin tins or line them with paper liners. Preheat oven to 400.
2. In a large bowl, combine cornbread mix, milk, melted butter, Tabasco and creamed corn. Mix well. Fill muffin tins half full with this mixture.
3. In another bowl, thoroughly combine cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and white onion. Top each muffin with cheese mixture to fill tins. Bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 12 muffins.
DEAR BARBARA: I think you'll like this one. It's moist and tastes just like the original. If you prefer not to have onions that are still crunchy, soften them by sauteing in a little broth before adding them.
REDUCED-FAT CORN PUDDING
1 package (8.5 ounces) corn muffin mix
1/4 cup nonfat milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon pepper sauce
1 can (15 ounces) creamed corn
3/4 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1/3 cup light sour cream
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 white onion, thinly sliced, then coarsely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 400. Spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick baking spray, or line with paper liners. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, place the muffin mix, milk, butter, pepper sauce and creamed corn and stir until combined. Fill the muffin tins half full with this mixture.
3. In another bowl, combine the cheddar cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise and onion.
4. Top each muffin with cheese mixture to fill tin. Bake for about 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 12 muffins.
Each muffin contains approximately: Original recipe: 235 calories; 18 gm fat; 29 mg cholesterol; 332 mg sodium; 15 gm carbohydrates; 4 gm protein; 1 gm fiber. Revised recipe: 120 calories; 5 gm fat; 8 mg cholesterol; 284 mg sodium; 17 gm carbohydrates; 3 gm protein; 1 gm fiber.
-- King Features