Sunday, May 26, 2013
• Lalibela Farm is now offering a third variety of tempeh made from organic, Maine-grown Jacob's cattle beans. Find it at the Portland Farmers Market and health food stores.
• Matt's Wood Roasted Coffee opened its first retail shop at 567 Congress St. in Portland. The shop offers conventionally brewed, pour overs and siphon coffees.
• Maine Squeeze Juice Cafe now has a second location on the second floor of the Public Market House in Portland's Monument Square.
• Union Bagel Co. is baking organic bagels every day at the Public Market House and delivering them to eateries in Greater Portland.
• Comedian Karen Morgan and her family have opened a new ice cream shop called Captain Sam's at 136 Commercial St. In addition to ice cream made on site, the shop will sell frappes, sundaes, Italian ice and ice cream cakes. The shop is open 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
• Northeast Flavor, a regional food and wine magazine based in Portsmouth, N.H., has been named one of the 10 best new magazines of 2011 by MediaSource/Library Journal. The quarterly magazine debuted in 2010 and regularly outsells national food magazines such as Bon Appetit on local retail shelves.
• LFK, a new neighborhood bar and cafe serving casual fare, has opened at 188A State St. in Portland, in Longfellow Square. Hours are 4 p.m. to 1 a.m. daily.
• Y-Lime's Gourmet, purveyor of gourmet cupcakes, closed its retail space in the Public Market House but will continue taking special orders (with free delivery in Portland) and selling its products at Coffee By Design, PeRx U Up Cafe, The Local Buzz, Gorham Grind and Mornings in Paris.
• The Bier Cellar, a new store offering a large selection of craft beer, wine, cider and mead, has opened at 299 Forest Ave. in Portland, just across the street from the University of Southern Maine library. The store, owned by Maine natives Greg and Katie Norton, features mix-and-match six-packs and a loyalty program, which should attract a lot of those USM students. Hours are noon to 8 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Closed Mondays. biercellar.com
• Rosemont Market is now delivering to Casco Bay islands Monday through Friday. For more information, call 846-1234 or email islanddelivery@rosemont market.com.
– Compiled by Meredith Goad and Avery Yale Kamila