Saturday, April 19, 2014
From staff reports
(Continued from page 2)
• PALATIAL CHICKEN COOP: Urban hipsters love their chicken coops. If you have cash to burn, why not show them how it's done with the Heritage Hen Mini Farm, complete with a flock of heritage-breed birds chosen especially for you?
If Donald Trump were a chicken, this is where he would live. The Versailles-inspired chicken coop "house" includes a nesting area, a living room for nighttime roosting, a chandelier and a library with real books on chickens and gardening. You'll also get two custom-designed raised beds for vegetables or herbs. All of this costs $100,000, as much as a real house. Delivery, believe it or not, is not included.
• WINSLOW HOMER BOBBLEHEAD: Yes, when you're one of the greatest American artists ever, you will eventually get honored with your own giant springy head. The Winslow Homer bobblehead, or "nodder," is just what you need on your desk or bookshelf. "Nodder" was a term coined for the early 1950s bobblehead dolls that depicted a variety of popular figures, so it's more "cultured" than plain ol' bobbleheads. It costs $32 at the Portland Museum of Art.
• ALBUM COVER PUZZLES: Here's something for your favorite music fan to puzzle over: Imagination Games has launched a series of jigsaw puzzles based on classic album covers. From David Bowie's "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars" to The Grateful Dead's "Aoxomoxoa" and The Rolling Stones' "Let It Bleed," the puzzles will bring famous album cover art to life -- albeit slowly -- right before your eyes. The puzzles retail for $21.95, and are available at Urban Outfitters, Barnes and Noble and other retail outlets.
• SOUND EGG: Got a music fanatic or hardcore gamer on your list? Want to blow their mind? Behold the Sound Egg. Think of it as a comfortably padded isolation chamber with a 100-watt, 2.1 stereo amplifier (which can be upgraded to a 5.1 system) and a 10-inch sub-woofer. You just climb in, switch it on and forget about everything else. The Sound Egg comes in a vibrant array of custom colors to fit any decor. The base price is $1,450, and shipping is $300.
• BOWLING ZOMBIES: Two hot trends come together in the form of Bowling Zombies from Front Porch Classics. Nine of the 4-inch wooden pins are ghoulish out-for-blood zombies, and the 10th is a damsel in serious distress. The goal is to knock out the zombies without taking out the damsel. Zombie Bowling retails for $21.95, and is available at various online shopping outlets.
• DIAMOND COMPUTER MOUSE: For the true computer geek, how about $24,180 for a computer mouse? This one from Pat Says Now is made from 18-carat white gold and nearly 60 cut diamonds. Hey, at least it has a three-year warranty.
Staff Writers Ray Routhier, Bob Keyes, Aimsel Ponti, Meredith Goad and Avery Yale Kamila contributed to this article.
click image to enlarge
Finally, you can call the special people in your life in style from Hannaford to find out if they want salsa or bean dip, with the Miansai by Michael Salger 14K gold iPhone cover.
click image to enlarge
For the “Animal House” disciple, a replica of Bluto Blutarsky’s “College” sweat shirt.