Saturday, March 8, 2014
By STACY DOWNS McClatchy Newspapers
(Continued from page 1)
Detail from a chalkboard-painted door.
McClatchy Newspapers photos
Chalkboard markers come in every color of the rainbow.
• New idea: Painting the surface of a deck with chalkboard paint.
• Obvious choice: Cheese trays. Not so obvious: your car. (We've spotted a VW Bug).
• Pictures on Pinterest.com are inspiring us. We especially love walls with chalk drawings, such as a family tree in a nursery. A hint for precise outlines: rent a projector and create a transparency at a print shop.
• Quotes on chalkboards = instant inspiration.
• Resources for chalkboard paint include craft stores, home warehouses and paint shops.
• Spray surfaces with polyurethane to make chalk-art creations permanent.
• Tired of the mess or the design? The best way to clean it is with a damp cloth.
• Understand that when you apply chalkboard paint, it goes on gritty. When it dries, sand surfaces with 150-grit sandpaper before you first write on them.
• Variety. Think beyond white chalk on a blackboard. Chalk comes in a crayon-assortment of colors these days; Crayola has a 52-count pack.
• Wet chalk is a secret for creating large-format designs, says Annie Huff, the 18-year-old daughter of Restoration Emporium owner Chrysalyn Huff. Annie Huff does chalkboard creations on doors and walls at the Kansas City, Mo., store. She dunks sidewalk chalk in a bucket of water. "It doesn't look like anything when it's wet on the surface, but then it dries vibrantly."
• Xpiration date of chalkboard paint: Six months from date of purchase or after it's mixed. (Yes, creative spelling is permitted on creative chalkboards.)
• Yummy surface for appetizer trays? To be on the safe side, use a nontoxic food-safe clear coat (available at craft stores) on top of chalkboard painted plates and platters.
• Zero writing. Chalkboard surfaces look great even with nothing on them. They're full of possibilities.
click image to enlarge
Chalkboard paint transformed this desktop into into an erasable writing surface, perfect for a to-do list. Black – as in blackboard – is the most typical color of chalkboard paint, but it can be any color.