PORTLAND PRESS HERALD DARKROOM
From the archives: Portland from the past

/

Helpful tips...

esc button

Use the LEFT / RIGHT keys to navigate the Darkroom

esc button

Use the UP key to show captions

esc button

Use the DOWN key to hide captions

esc button

Use the ESC key to close Darkroom

Find other amazing Darkroom photos below

  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    This photo shows Congress Street in the West End in 1888.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Photo courtesy of Greater Portland Landmarks | of | Share this photo

    View from the Portland Observatory of the encampment set up after the fire of 1866.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    This photo shows the center of Congress Street in 1895.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Photo courtesy of Greater Portland Landmarks | of | Share this photo

    Congress Street in Munjoy Hill in this undated photo.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    A closer look at Congress Street in 1895.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    Monument Square, downtown Portland, circa 1900.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    Monument Square in the early 1900s. The Edwards & Walker Co. building on the left is the current site of One Monument Square.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    1904: This photo shows Congress Street in 1904 at the edge of the Parkside neighborhood.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Photo taken by Rufus Cutler Libby courtesy of Susan Hill Sykes | of | Share this photo

    This photo which may date from 1917, was taken from the porch of 34 Congress Street, at the corner of Morning Street. The house was owned by Herman Brewer Libby. His wife, Marion Olive Wilcox Libby, marched in the parade

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - City of Portland 1924 tax records | of | Share this photo

    A horse pulls a sleigh as it passes a two-family home at 263 Forest Avenue in the Oakdale neighborhood in this 1924 photo. The home, owned by Edward B. Winslow, was valued at $3,299, and the land was valued at $5,659. The house was razed in the 1960s  to make room for the construction of  I-295. Today, this site is the on-ramp for  I-295 near the entrance to the Hannaford Plaza. The structures behind the house are part of the old Winslow Pottery, now the location of a Hannaford supermarket. The pottery company was later called Portland Stoneware.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Evening Express file photo | of | Share this photo

    Corner of Congress and High streets in 1920.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Photo taken by Rufus Cutler Libby courtesy of Susan Hill Sykes | of | Share this photo

    Priscilla Libby Hill, age 6, standing near the corner of Congress and Morning streets on Munjoy Hill in January, 1923.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    Northeast corner of Pine and West Streets, including Pine Street Lunch, 62 Pine Street, on the right.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    This undated photo shows Congress Street in downtown Portland when horses, trolleys and cars shared the road, likely in the 1920s.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    This undated photo shows the corner of Federal and Temple streets.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    1936: The corner of Cumberland Avenue and Preble Street looking south.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    Circa 1941 Congress Street cobblestone surface repairs, near India Street. Eastbound view, with Tommy's Hardware, 273 Congress Street at left, Etz Chaim Synagogue in background left. Northeast view, with E.C. McDonough druggist (235 Congress Street, near Montgomery Street) at center.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    1950: A view down High Street as it crosses Cumberland Avenue and continues through the Parkside neighborhood in 1950. Note the two-way traffic on High Street.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    Bumper-to-bumper traffic on Congress Street, Portland, at Monument Square in 1952.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    1952: Monument Square and Benoit's Department Store.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    This apartment house at the corner of Cumberland Avenue and Casco Street, was torn down along with adjacent buildings to make a parking lot after this 1954 photo.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    This photo shows India Street in 1955. Amato's has been a mainstay of the neighborhood.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - File photo | of | Share this photo

    Hub Furniture sale circa 1941. The store was located at 440 Congress Street.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Evening Express file photo | of | Share this photo

    Corner of Congress and High streets around 1940.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Evening Express file photo | of | Share this photo

    The corner of Congress and High Streets before World War II.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    High Street looking up towards State Drug at 603 Congress Street. The 1st Universalist Church is on the left.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    This 1968 photo shows Congress and Free streets in downtown Portland.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Evening Express Staff Photo | of | Share this photo

    Franklin Street looking north from Congress. Visible along the right edge of the photo is the Parish Hall of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, one of the few buildings in the neighborhood that survived the construction of Franklin Arterial.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    1969: The 81-year-old 20-million-gallon reservoir and standpipe on Munjoy Hill off the Eastern Promenade, background, will be replaced by a covered concrete reservoir holding 2.25 million gallons of water. The land, owned by the Portland Water District, eventually will be sold for development to put the property back on the city tax rolls. The cost of the removal and construction project will be about $400,000. North Street is in foreground and Walnut Street is at right. This land was developed into Island View Apartments in 2002 helping to fuel revitalization of The Hill. A two-bedroom at Island View now rents for $1400.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    This undated photo is possibly of 37 Pleasant Street taken from the SW.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    The corner of High and Congress streets in the mid-1970s.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    1979: Corner of Congress and High streets.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    The corner of Congress and High streets in October 1979.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    Modern Monument Square takes shape with a plaza and One Monument Square complete in 1974.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    This 1977 photo of Wharf Street before the resurgence of the Old Port in Portland's downtown.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Evening Express file photo | of | Share this photo

    Congress Square park under construction in the summer of 1982.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    Aerial view of Downtown Portland in 1984 looking across Temple Street northwest toward Monument Square, left center.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Jack Milton/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    This 1986 photo shows the view east on Congress Street, Portland, up Munjoy Hill.

    Show
  • Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - John Ewing/Staff Photographer | of | Share this photo

    The view up Congress Street to Munjoy Hill in 1989.

    Show
  • The view of Munjoy Hill looking up Congress Street toward the Portland Observatory, September, 1983.
    Hide
    From the archives: Portland from the past - Press Herald file photo | of | Share this photo

    The view of Munjoy Hill looking up Congress Street toward the Portland Observatory, September, 1983.

    Show