Wednesday, March 12, 2014
Teen playing with a lighter started house fire, chief says
A 15-year-old boy playing with a lighter started a fire late Friday that caused up to $750,000 in damage to a Yarmouth home, according to the town’s fire chief.
The fire at 110 Broad Arrow Trail started after the teen set a piece of paper on fire. The paper fell on a bed and ignited the mattress, Yarmouth Fire Chief Michael Robitaille said Saturday.
The teen tried to extinguish the fire but was unsuccessful. He then left the home and called 911, Robitaille said.
Fire departments from Cumberland, Falmouth, Freeport and North Yarmouth assisted, Robitaille said.
No one was injured in the fire, he said.
Blaze destroys old church converted into residence
Fire has destroyed an old church that had been converted into a home in Auburn.
The occupant of the residence was not home at the time and no injuries were reported.
The fire was reported Friday evening. When firefighters arrived the building was engulfed in flames.
Fire officials said the building, its contents and nearby vehicles were destroyed.
Authorities said the fire is under investigation.
UMaine employee injured when snowplow rolls over
A University of Maine employee was hurt when the snowplow he was driving rolled over Friday night, a university spokeswoman said Saturday.
The cause of the accident was not immediately known.
Robert Vachon, a worker in the facilities management department, was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, a university spokeswoman said. The status of his condition was not immediately available.
EMMC said it did not have a patient by the name Robert Vachon on Saturday.
– From staff and news services