Saturday, April 19, 2014
From staff and news services
Person mishandles gun, suffers wound in the hand
Police are investigating an accidental shooting in which a person mishandled a gun and was shot in the hand.
The incident happened about 3:30 p.m. Thursday on Cornell Street, in the Morrill’s Corner neighborhood.
Police and rescue workers were called to a reported shooting and determined it was accidental. The person was cleaning the gun and it fired, police said.
New Hampshire man given four years on heroin charges
A New Hampshire man has been sentenced in Maine to four years in prison on heroin charges.
Federal prosecutors say 30-year-old Derek Parker of Gonic, N.H., pleaded guilty in November 2013 to conspiracy to distribute heroin.
He was sentenced Thursday to a prison term, followed by three years of probation.
Court records say Parker was obtaining 10 to 20 grams of heroin nearly every day and distributing the drug to customers in Maine and southern New Hampshire.
Parker and 13 other people were indicted on conspiracy charges last April.
Authorities say the arrests were made after a joint investigation by Maine and New Hampshire law enforcement and federal officials.
DEP chief: EPA wood rules may be burden on Mainers
The commissioner of the Maine Department of Environmental Protection says proposed restrictions on burning wood are a concern for Mainers.
Commissioner Patricia Aho said stricter emission requirements outlined in a draft rule by the Environmental Protection Agency could be prohibitively expensive in a state that relies on wood for heating.
In a public hearing Wednesday in Boston, she said the draft rule did not include all types of wood stoves and placed the burden of compliance on the shoulders of an aging Maine population. She noted that many residents burn wood because it is less expensive than heating oil.
The draft rule is the first time the EPA has updated residential wood heating standards since 1988. It is due to become law in 2015.
Carbon monoxide detector may have saved woman
A working carbon monoxide detector may have saved a Sanford woman’s life Thursday morning.
The woman called for help around 7:05 a.m. after the detector went off in her home at 19 Clinton St.. She also smelled burning sulphur, said Ron Grondin, a captain with the Sanford Fire Department.
Grondin said fire department medics monitored the carbon monoxide levels in her blood and decided not to send her to the hospital, but carbon monoxide levels inside the two-story home were 80 parts per million – more than double the levels that trigger a detector.
Grondin said the home’s oil burning furnace malfunctioned, allowing the odorless, lethal gas to leak into the home. The smell of sulphur was caused by the furnace not burning oil properly.
The woman had turned her furnace off by the time firefighters arrived. The home was ventilated by firefighters and the woman was able to return.
Police seek man who stole rifle from Trading Post
Kittery police are seeking the public’s help in locating a man who recently entered the Kittery Trading Post, bought ammunition, and then disassembled a rifle and walked out of the store without paying for it.
Kittery police posted a security photograph of the suspect on their Facebook page Thursday, as well as a photograph of what appears to be a dark Chevy Cruze the man was driving.
According to police, the man entered the store – no date was given for when the theft took place – and purchased ammunition.
The man then walked over to the firearm display rack and disassembled a Ruger 10-22 rifle. He hid the rifle in his jacket and left the store.
(Continued on page 2)