View Site of explosion in a larger map

February 13, 2013

'All you could see was fire'

A blast tied to a propane leak levels an apartment building in Bath, killing one person, and leaves neighbors shaken.

By David Hench dhench@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

(Continued from page 1)

click image to enlarge

What remains of the duplex at 31-29 Bluff Road, following a suspected propane gas explosion Tuesday morning.

Shawn Patrick Ouellette / Staff Photographer

click image to enlarge

The scene this morning shortly after a suspected propane explosion leveled a duplex at 31-29 Bluff Road.

Photo by Debra Prindall

Additional Photos Below

Related headlines

PROPANE SAFETY TIPS

From the Propane Education and Research Council:

• Buy only units that are listed by Underwriters Laboratories.

• Follow the manufacturer's instructions for installation and maintenance.

• Never ignore the smell of propane, even if no detector is sounding an alarm.

• Leave appliance maintenance to the experts.

• Have appliances and propane systems inspected before the start of each heating season.

• Do not modify or repair valves, regulators, connectors, controls, or other appliance and cylinder/tank parts.

• Do not run out of gas. Serious safety hazards including fire or explosion can result.

• If an appliance valve or a gas line is left open, a leak could occur when the system is recharged with propane.

• If the propane tank runs out of gas, any pilot lights on appliances will go out. That can be extremely dangerous.

• Regularly check your appliance exhaust vents for blockage.

• If a pilot light repeatedly goes out or is very difficult to light, do not try to fix the problem. Only a qualified service technician should light any pilot light that has gone out.

On Tuesday morning, the Kings stood with many other residents of the complex, watching and waiting for permission to return to their homes. Investigators had set barricades around the area to block access to several buildings.

Residents of nearby apartments said the propane heaters in some of the units had been malfunctioning since last weekend's blizzard.

Scott Wallace, who lives at 39 Bluff Road, said deep snow apparently blocked exhaust vents for the propane heaters. That caused the heaters to shut off, he said.

State Fire Marshal Joe Thomas said blocked exhaust vents could cause a problem with carbon monoxide, but are unlikely to cause a buildup of unburned gas that would explode.

Safety mechanisms are designed to shut off the fuel when vents are blocked, Thomas said.

It's also unlikely that the explosion was caused by a faulty exterior tank, he said.

"Usually, in situations like this, it's not necessarily the tank that fails," Thomas said. "It's a leak somewhere where the gas builds up. If you get a large volume of gas and an ignition source, it's kind of like sitting on Mount Vesuvius."

Most of the Atlantic Townhouse Apartments are managed by Keystone Management of Concord, N.H., which oversees properties in Maine, New Hampshire and North Carolina.

Keystone Management's maintenance team said it is responsible for making sure that propane heaters are working properly and that exterior wall vents are clear of snow.

Andy Medeiros, a senior maintenance person for Keystone Management, said Tuesday night that "we had our guys go through all the apartments and clear the vents right after the storm" set snowfall records on Saturday.

Medeiros said his team was doing a pressure test Tuesday night to make sure the propane heating units in all of the apartments it manages were functioning properly. No problems had been detected.

Keystone is responsible for maintaining more than 140 units in the complex, including the one that exploded.

Keystone manages Atlantic Townhouse Apartments for the property's owner, Eaton Tarbell LLC, said Davis. Some of the units in the development are owned by other entities.

Danielle Pinette, who manages the property for Keystone Management, would not identify the victim, but said the woman who lived at 29 Bluff Road was a sweetheart. She said the woman was about 65 and lived alone.

"One of my favorite tenants was killed. She had a great sense of humor. She would bake me cakes and bring me cards at Christmas," Pinette said.

On Tuesday morning, Bath Code Enforcement Officer Scott Davis checked Keystone Management's file to find out whether the company had been cited for any recent violations.

"We've had some nickel-and-dime stuff like complaints about trash piling up, but nothing major. They've been very responsive and we've never had to take them to court," Davis said. "There are no active violations."

Propane is a popular heating fuel for apartment complexes where natural gas is not available, because the heating units are less expensive than oil burners and require less maintenance, said people in the heating industry.

The state does not require propane systems to be inspected regularly. The Department of Professional and Financial Regulation does require technicians to be licensed, and the systems must meet certain standards when they are installed.

Two inspectors from the department joined investigators from the Fire Marshal's Office at the scene to aid in the inquiry.

Lee Landry, managing partner of reVision Heat, a heating contractor in Portland, said leaks are relatively rare because of safety precautions. His company rigorously tests piping when it installs a propane or natural gas furnace, but there's no requirement for annual or biannual checks, he said.

Like natural gas, propane has a sulfur-like odor added to it so people can smell it if there's a leak.

Sgt. Ken Grimes, who is overseeing a team of investigators for the Fire Marshal's Office, said explosions in propane heating systems are extremely rare.

"It works very well as long as it's properly installed and maintained," he said. "This is one incident going bad out of the tens of thousands of units in the state."

-- Staff writers Eric Russell, Dennis Hoey and Edward D. Murphy contributed to this report.

David Hench can be contacted at 791-6327 or at:

dhench@pressherald.com

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors


Additional Photos

click image to enlarge

What remains of the duplex at 31-29 Bluff road, following a suspected propane gas explosion this morning.

Shawn Patrick Ouellette / Staff photographer

click image to enlarge

Debris and damaged vehicles from this morning's explosion at 29-31 Bluff Road, which is adjacent to Shaw's supermarket.

Photo by David Hench / Staff Writer

click image to enlarge

Firefighters on the scene of the explosion in Bath on Tuesday. Authorities say debris from the explosion landed as far as a quarter-mile away.

Shawn Patrick Ouellette / Staff Photographer



Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)