October 2, 2013

Maine attorney who made bomb threats allowed to keep law practice

By MATT HONGOLTZ-HETLING Morning Sentinel

The Rumford attorney who called in bomb threats to two Wilton schools in March 2012 is allowed to continue his law practice – but with stipulations – in a decision by the Maine Bar this week.

A decision handed down Monday by the Board of Overseers of the Bar detailed the manner in which the attorney, Ron Hoffman, committed the crimes and then lied to police about it.

While in court, Hoffman accepted responsibility for his actions but cited as their root cause a series of medical conditions for which he was not receiving proper treatment.

The board found that Hoffman’s current regimen of medications and counseling sessions allows him to continue his law practice.

Hoffman, whose threatening phone calls caused an evacuation of 360 children from Academy Hill and G.D. Cushing elementary schools, will be allowed to continue to practice law in the state under an order issued by Donald Alexander, associate justice of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court.

If Hoffman fails to attend required stress management classes or to comply with other requirements in the decision, his license to practice law in Maine will be suspended for two years.

After reviewing his case, the board found Hoffman violated the association’s Maine Rules of Professional Conduct, with his criminal and unprofessional actions causing serious harm in the community.

The board also found that Hoffman had taken steps to prevent further unprofessional behavior.

“The record demonstrates that since mid-April 2012, Hoffman has proceeded aggressively to address his medical and mental health issues,” the order from Alexander says.

Hoffman, who lives in Sumner and has a law practice in Rumford, graduated from the Massachusetts School of Law in 1996 and has acted as the defense attorney in several high-profile cases in Maine, including that of murderer Christian Nielsen.

On the morning of March 29, 2012, Hoffman called each school within a two-minute time frame and said, in slurred speech, “There is a bomb in your school!”

The schools were evacuated and police determined that there were no bombs in either building.

School officials testified in court about the emotional effect on the community, particularly the younger children, who experienced confusion and anger.

Wilton police Chief Heidi Wilcox obtained a court order for access to phone records and found that the calls had been placed from a Tracphone, a cellphone that allows the user to prepay by the minute.

The investigators found the phone had been purchased the evening before the bomb scare at a Walmart in nearby Mexico. While reviewing store security camera footage, Maine State Police Detective Randall Keaten recognized Hoffman, whom he knew personally.

When Keaten and another detective confronted Hoffman, he first denied that he had ever bought a Tracphone. Then, when shown a photo from the security footage, Hoffman said he bought it for a brother-in-law in Colorado but had thrown it away in his office trash because he couldn’t activate it.

Hoffman also told detectives that he was meeting with a client at the time the bomb threat was phoned in, which detectives later learned was untrue.

Hoffman was charged formally with two misdemeanor counts of terrorizing in July 2012. His attorney, James Martemucci, initially entered a plea of not guilty, but Hoffman later pleaded no contest to the charges.

In September 2012, Hoffman offered a tearful apology in Farmington District Court, during which he took responsibility for his actions.

In court, Hoffman and other witnesses said he suffers from serious and chronic medical conditions, including insulin-dependent diabetes, obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety and depression.

He also suffers from Graves disease, a thyroid gland disorder that caused fatigue, anxiety and difficulty with depression.

(Continued on page 2)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)