November 3, 2013

Bill Nemitz: Many hands make life work for Haitian earthquake survivor

(Continued from page 1)

click image to enlarge

Kesner “Salvi” Salvent, a survivor of the Haiti earthquake, found his way to Maine with a lot of help and recently graduated from the Northeast Technical Institute.

John Ewing/Staff Photographer

Merrill quickly compiled the paperwork needed to get Salvi to the hospital ship. The problem was finding Salvi, who by now was wasting away with James still at his side at a tent city in Port-au-Prince.

That’s where Jan Carter of Portland, a longtime friend of Merrill’s already volunteering in the northern Haitian city of Cap Haitien, joined in.

Carter agreed to make the long, arduous trip to Port-au-Prince – at times hitching rides on Argentinian and Chilean military tanks – to deliver the documentation needed for U.S. military personnel to grant Salvi passage to the hospital ship. It took her five days.

Finally, paperwork in hand, soldiers found Salvi and James in the camp and took them by helicopter to the USNS Comfort.

With James serving as Salvi’s moral support and translator, surgeons fused Salvi’s broken neck with four screws. Two weeks later, when he could finally be moved, he was transported to a medical holding facility on Haiti’s mainland.


Back to Maine, where a nurse at Maine Medical Center’s spinal trauma unit who had read about the unfolding drama called Pam Lee and advised her to call the Shepherd Center, a nonprofit hospital in Atlanta that specializes in spinal cord injuries.

Pam, by now all but attached to her cellphone, knew getting Salvi out of Haiti was his only hope.

“In Haiti, if you’re paralyzed from the neck down, you are a lost cause,” she said. “You’re going to die.”

Dr. Donald Leslie, the Shepherd Center’s medical director, agreed to take Salvi. Better yet, Leslie enlisted the help of good friend Harold Anderson, a wealthy Atlanta philanthropist who was already flying prosthetics into Port-au-Prince on his private jet, to fly Salvi and James to Atlanta.

There, over the next weeks, Salvi slowly got back on his feet – and in the process forged a close bond with Anderson.

By mid-March of 2010, with Anderson’s personal driver at the wheel and James still at his side, Salvi made the long trip in the back of an SUV to Maine.

“That’s when they came to us,” Pam said.

Salvi and James lived in the Lees’ upstairs guest room for the next year. Both here on “temporary protective status” visas, they enrolled in Biddeford’s adult education program and earned their General Educational Development certificates.

At the same time, Salvi regained more of his strength and mobility, at no charge, through a therapeutic horse-driving program at Carlisle Academy in Lyman.

Salvi and James, still supported financially every step of the way by Anderson, eventually found work and moved into an apartment in Biddeford.


Then in January, Salvi enrolled at Northeast Technical Institute to become a certified clinical medical assistant and phlebotomy-EKG technician.

Wednesday evening, dressed in a white shirt and tie, speaking near-perfect English and walking without so much as a limp, he strode down the aisle with his fellow students at the Portland Marriott at Sable Oaks to receive his certificate.

Among the multitude cheering him on were Pam Lee and Leslie Merrill, without whom Salvi would long ago have become but one more victim of Haiti’s worst nightmare.

“This is a stepping stone for him,” instructor Dawson said as her star student traded handshakes and hugs with his classmates. “When he arrived, he was very shy, very reserved. But he’s just flourished here.”

Where Salvi goes from here is unclear – ultimately, he wants to go to medical school, become a doctor and provide much-needed help to his fellow Haitians, “just like help was provided to me.”

For now, though, he’ll look for a job in his new field – he keeps a stack of resumes with him wherever he goes – and marvel that something so good can blossom from something so bad.

He also says a prayer of thanks each night for the many people – he sees them as links in a long, powerful chain – who never stopped believing they could get him here from there.

Even now, almost four years later, not a day goes by without someone telling Salvi how lucky he is.

But each time, he quickly responds, “No, I’m not lucky.”

Then what is he?

“I am blessed,” Salvi said. “I am a blessed man, walking around.”

Columnist Bill Nemitz can be contacted at 791-6323 or at:

Twitter: @billnemitz

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)