August 13, 2013

Cigar blamed as cause of fatal Windham fire

From staff reports

A burning cigar or cigar ashes were the cause of a fire in Windham early Sunday morning that killed a 25-year-old man, according to the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Parker Blanchard died after a fire started just after 3:30 a.m. Sunday on a futon in the living room of his third-floor apartment at 13 Main St., in Windham. The fire was ruled accidental.

Blanchard was found unresponsive on the floor of his apartment.

Blanchard's girlfriend, 25-year-old Annette Kowalik, escaped but was treated for smoke inhalation at Maine Medical Center in Portland.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors

Further Discussion

Here at we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)