March 17, 2013

Cigarette blamed for apartment house fire in Jay

The Associated Press

JAY — A discarded cigarette is being blamed for an apartment house fire in Jay that left nine people without a home.

Firefighters say the back of the building was burning out of control when they were called to the three-story apartment house at about 12:30 p.m. Saturday.

Assistant Fire Chief Mike Booker told the Sun Journal of Lewiston the fire started on a first-floor back porch.

Firefighters from seven towns assisted in putting out the fire, but the building was total loss. Nobody was hurt.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)