December 26, 2012

Dog rescued in South Portland electrical fire

Firefighters were called for a report of smoke and found flames coming from the back of a home at 15 Bodge St.

By David Hench dhench@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

SOUTH PORTLAND — Investigators with the State Fire Marshal's office, after combing through the wreckage of a house in South Portland, determined a Christmas day fire that destroyed the bungalow style home was caused by an electrical malfunction.

click image to enlarge

Investigators surround home owner Amy Maddox, who is talking to friend, Ron Bridges, the morning after the fire that started around 8 p.m. last night. Lt. Matthew Gilbert saved her mini poodle Penny. "I'm so glad my dog is O. K." exclaimed Maddox. Staff photo by Gordon Chibroski

Gordon Chibroski

A wire in an exterior wall leading to a sump pump that was running often appears to have sparked the fire, said Sgt. Joel Davis.

Firefighters were called to the Bodge Street neighborhood for a report of smoke and when they got there, found flames coming from the back of 15 Bodge St. The owner had left to visit family at 10:30 a.m., and nobody was home.

Firefighters were confronted with a large volume of contents inside the small house and had difficulty maneuvering, said Lt. Robb Couture. The fire got into the attic and broke through the roof, leading to firefighters being recalled out of the building. They then fought the fire from outside, he said.

Firefighters were able to rescue the woman's dog, which was trapped under some debris on the front porch, he said. The dog was taken to the veterinarian but was not badly hurt.

"They handed it off to a police officer and he was bouncing all over her car by the time he got to the vet," Couture said.

A neighbor, who had tried to rescue the dog before firefighters arrived by breaking a window, was treated at the scene for a cut on the hand or arm, he said.

Couture said residents should be careful to keep doorways and exits clear of items as a precaution in case of fire.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)