September 10, 2013

Families seek a say at Bulger's sentencing

By Denise Lavoie / The Associated Press

BOSTON — Prosecutors have asked a judge to allow victim impact statements from family members of all 19 people Boston mob boss James "Whitey" Bulger was accused of killing, even though Bulger wasn't convicted in every death.

The 84-year-old mob boss was convicted last month of racketeering charges, including 11 killings.

Prosecutor Brian Kelly said Tuesday in federal court that even though Bulger wasn't convicted in eight killings, relatives of those victims want to speak or submit written testimony at Bulger's November sentencing hearing. He said there's legal precedent.

Bulger's attorney didn't respond to the prosecution's request in court, saying he'd like the chance to respond in writing.

Bulger, who faces a life sentence, wasn't in court Tuesday. The defense didn't indicate what sentence it would seek.

 

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)