December 25, 2012

Fatal Orono fire started in damaged chimney

The Associated Press

ORONO — Maine fire officials say a fire that killed two brothers in Orono started in a damaged chimney.

State Fire Marshal Joseph Thomas told the Bangor Daily News that the early morning fire on Sunday started in an unlined chimney, where debris had accumulated in gaps left by missing bricks and crumbling mortar.

The victims have been identified as 47-year-old Randy Davis, the home owner, and his brother 49-year-old Cris "Cricket" Davis.

The home did not have working smoke detectors.

Investigators say the brothers had been out drinking Saturday night and took a taxi home.

 

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)