September 2, 2013

Fire destroys Kennebunk home, injuring firefighter

Officials say a clothes dryer malfunctioned at the two-story home on Alfred Road.

The Associated Press

KENNEBUNK — A mother and her three children are without a home after a clothes dryer malfunctioned, igniting a fire that destroyed a 153-year-old home in Kennebunk and sent a firefighter to the hospital.

Kennebunk District Fire Chief Bill VanDeinse said about 50 firefighters battled the blaze, which was reported shortly after 10 a.m. for more than four hours.

A mother and three children – two 10-year-olds and a 13-year-old – made it out of the home at 192 Alfred Road safely and are staying with a friend, VanDeinese said. They were hot harmed, he said.

Two family pets – a cat and a guinea pig – perished, while a second cat remains unaccounted for, he said.

VanDeinse said the two-story home was a total loss. According to tax records, the home was built in 1860 and was valued at $163,000.

A firefighter sustained minor injuries and was transported to York Hospital, he said.

VanDeinse said the fire started when a clothes dryer located on the first floor of the home malfunctioned.

Firefighters from Alfred, Arundel, Biddeford, Goodwin’s Mills, Kennebunk, Kennebunkport and Wells responded to the blaze.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)