December 24, 2013

Fire destroys couple’s Freeport home on Christmas Eve

The duo is able to spend Christmas with relatives, the fire chief says.

By Dennis Hoey dhoey@pressherald.com
Staff Writer

FREEPORT – A couple who lived in a mobile home near Winslow Memorial Park in Freeport lost their home to fire on Christmas Eve.

Fire Chief Darrel Fournier said the fire gutted Richard Peacock’s residence at 7 Starboard Lane. His home is located off Staples Point Road in a mobile home park called Duck Away.

Fournier said the fire broke out around 5 p.m. in a bedroom. Peacock told firefighters that he spotted smoke coming from underneath a hospital style bed that is powered by an electrical motor, but by the time he had filled a bucket with water, the fire had spread to curtains in the bedroom.

No one was injured, but Fournier said Peacock was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. He and his wife were able to spend Christmas Eve with relatives.

The cause of the fire does not appear to be suspicious.

Because of the holiday and staffing shortages in volunteer fire departments, Fournier said the town received firefighting assistance from Pownal, Durham, Yarmouth, Brunswick, Cumberland and Falmouth.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)