June 17, 2013

Firefighters save snakes from burning Auburn attic

The Associated Press

AUBURN — It may sound like a B-grade movie, but it was all too real for Maine firefighters who encountered "snakes in an attic."

Firefighters in Auburn learned upon responding to an attic fire Monday morning that a tenant was keeping 25 to 30 ball pythons in the attic.

Capt. Scott Hunter tells WMTW-TV that firefighters rescued about half of the snakes after being told they were not poisonous.

Firefighters believe a heater used to keep the snakes warm caused the fire. The snakes' owner told firefighters he kept the reptiles as pets.

One national pet chain's website says ball pythons are more docile than others and smaller, growing to 4-5 feet long as adults. They get their name from the fact that they curl into a ball when under stress.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)