February 18

Furnace problem likely cause of 3 deaths in New Hampshire

A fourth carbon monoxide victim is hospitalized.

The Associated Press

PLAISTOW, N.H. — A problem with a furnace is being eyed as the likely cause of carbon monoxide poisoning that killed three people and sickened a fourth in a home in Plaistow on Tuesday.

State Fire Marshall J. William Degnan said the fourth victim was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital after firefighters were called to the Plaistow home at 11:30 a.m. His condition was not immediately released.

Degnan said the home had a carbon monoxide detector but it didn’t have batteries. He said the investigation is focused on the propane-fired furnace.

All the victims were adults. One woman and two men were unresponsive when emergency crews arrived, according to Plaistow fire officials.

He said the victims’ identities won’t be released until the family has been notified.

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)