April 16, 2013

Central Mainers grateful for safety after Boston Marathon explosions

Gov. Paul LePage sends 'thoughts and prayers,' says Maine ready to lend a hand

By Keith Edwards kedwards@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

and Amy Calder acalder@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

and Rachel Ohm rohm@centralmaine.com
Staff Writer

(Continued from page 1)

click image to enlarge

Seth Hasty ran in his second Boston Marathon on Monday. Hasty had finished the race and was at a restaurant about a quarter-mile away from where two explosions, near the finish line, took place, killing at least two people and injuring dozens more, he said in a cellphone interview.

Staff file photo by Joe Phelan

click image to enlarge

Medical workers aid injured people at the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon following an explosion in Boston on Monday, Two explosions shattered the euphoria of the Boston Marathon finish line, sending authorities out on the course to carry off the injured while the stragglers were rerouted away from the smoking site of the blasts.

AP photo

Related headlines

'The exact spot'

Attorney Walter McKee of Hallowell, and his daughter Kate, 12, a runner from Hall-dale Middle School who had run a local race on Sunday, left the finish area of the marathon 90 minutes before the explosion.

They left because of the crowds.

“We left and we caught it on the radio coming back and thought, ‘We were just there,’” he said Tuesday. “We were in the exact spot of explosion two. We were watching the leaders and after a while decided it was too crowded, so we left. It was hard just to move on the sidewalk near the finish line.”

'It seemed like a movie'

A Randolph man who participated in Monday's Boston Marathon was safely away from deadly explosions Monday near the race's finish line, and Central Maine residents expressed relief their relatives had escaped injury in the explosions that wracked an area near the finish line.

Seth Hasty, of Randolph, was in a restaurant in Copley Square, about a quarter-mile away from the first two explosions, with his son, Abe, and wife Brianne, he said in a cellphone interview.

Hasty was looking forward to a good meal after finishing the marathon, he said, when he heard there had been explosions and people were evacuating the area.

"I grabbed my 2 1/2 -year-old son and we took off in the other direction," Hasty said. "People were walking around, crying. It seemed like it was pretty bad. It seemed like a movie."

He said at first they thought a gun had gone off but then saw updates online telling people to get out of Copley Square as soon as they could.

A friend came and picked them up and drove them away.

Hasty, 33, said he had finished the race, gone back to his hotel and showered by the time he'd heard of the explosions.

Hasty said he had been texting and phoning people almost nonstop after the incidents, making sure others he knew were in Boston for the race were OK. He said everyone he'd checked with so far was safe.

'He's a pretty stubborn bugger'

Jill Maxwell, of Pittsfield, said her husband, Bruce Maxwell, had finished the marathon and was back in nearby Hopkinton, Mass., by the time the explosions occurred.

"We were very, very happy when we heard from him," she said.

A violinist and chairman of the computer science department at Colby College in Waterville, Bruce Maxwell, 44, was driving to Colby Monday evening from Massachusetts to attend a Colby Symphony Orchestra practice, despite having run a marathon, according to his wife.

"He's a pretty stubborn bugger," she said.

This was his third time running in the marathon, she said.

She said she spent much of the afternoon texting, calling and receiving calls from concerned relatives.

"A lot of people were trying to call Bruce and were not able to get him," she said.

'She said it was very, very scary'

Thorndike resident David Leaming's adult daughter, Rebecca Leaming, originally of Thorndike and now living in Falmouth with her husband, Ryan Burke, was running in the marathon and had made it as far as Chestnut Hill, about five miles from the finish, when the race was canceled and the runners were diverted away from the scene of the explosions.

Leaming said he hadn't reached her directly early Monday evening but had spoken with Burke, who was just around the corner from the finish line when the explosions went off and who said Rebecca was OK, and not near the finish line.

"She said it was very, very scary," David Leaming said.

(Continued on page 3)

Were you interviewed for this story? If so, please fill out our accuracy form

Send question/comment to the editors




Further Discussion

Here at PressHerald.com we value our readers and are committed to growing our community by encouraging you to add to the discussion. To ensure conscientious dialogue we have implemented a strict no-bullying policy. To participate, you must follow our Terms of Use.

Questions about the article? Add them below and we’ll try to answer them or do a follow-up post as soon as we can. Technical problems? Email them to us with an exact description of the problem. Make sure to include:
  • Type of computer or mobile device your are using
  • Exact operating system and browser you are viewing the site on (TIP: You can easily determine your operating system here.)